Montreal Dickens Fellowship Trivia Quiz Part 1
- In what year was Charles Dickens born?
- Where was Charles Dickens born?
(London/ Paris/ Edinburgh/ Portsmouth)
- What is Charles Dickens’s middle name?
( Boz/ Alfred/ Huffam/Millhouse)
- Where did Charles Dickens spend his formative years?
(Scotland/ Ville St. Pierre/ New York/ Chatham;Kent)
- Why and where was his father, John Dickens, imprisoned in 1824?
(indecent exposure, Kingston Penitentiary/ civil disobedience, the Bastille/ debt, Marshalsea Prison/ Poutine tampering, St. Vincent de Paul)
- Where was Charles Dickens’s first job?
( London Telegraph/ Warrens Blacking Factory/ M.C.L.L/Montreal Gazette)
- Who was Charles Dickens’s first love?
(Queen Victoria/ Hilary Clinton/ Catherine Hogarth/ Maria Beadnell)
- Charles Dickens worked at which job before becoming an author?
(waiter/ pilot/ parliamentary reporter/Habs goalie)
- In Dickens’s first novel, Pickwick Papers, who was Sam Weller?
(his lawyer/ his bookie/ his faithful servant/ his snow removal guy)
- In Oliver Twist what is the name of Bill Sike’s dog?
(Rover/ Rex/ Cuddles/ Bullseye)
- In Nicholas Nickleby, what villainous corruption did Dickens expose?
(Construction kickbacks/US Presidency/Yorkshire schools/ Hells Angels)
- In The Old Curiosty Shop, Little Nell’s grandfather was which of these?
(an alcoholic/ a thief/ a Montreal city councillor/a gambler)
- What did Barnaby Rudge carry on his shoulder?
(Polly the parakeet/Big Bird/ Chicken Little/ Grip the Raven)
- In Martin Chuzzlewit, what is the pet name of Pecksniff’s eldest child?
(Merry/ Tootsie/ Sweet Cheeks/ Cherry)
- Who is the first spirit that visits Ebenezer Scrooge?
(Caspar the friendly ghost/ Banquo/ Jacob Marley/ Bob Marley)
- What kind of business is Mr. Dombey in ?
(shipping/ the shmata business/ computer software/ scrap metal)
- In David Copperfield, “Barkis is Willin” to do what?
(to invest in IBM/ run for the NDP party/ drink tea/marry Peggoty)
- In Bleak House, what disfigures Esther Summerson’s face?
(acne/ too much Botox/ too much sun exposure/ smallpox)
- Fictional “Coketown” in Hard Times is based on what real city?
(Leeds/ Chomedy, Laval/ Moosejaw/ Preston)
- Where was Amy Dorrit born?
(Mudfog Workhouse/ Dotheboys Hall/Royal Vic/Marshalsea Prison)